Sunday, September 25, 2005

Change of direction

I stopped blogging for an extended period. In part because I was busy; but in equal measure because I was bored. My writings were about the politics de jour and the fodder was just so repetitious: pubs complain about biased media; libs bark at everything like junkyard dogs; media gleefully reports to their agenda.

Katrina? Global warming; W is pathetic for not signing Kyoto. That would have changed 20-year cycles of hurricanes? Would have changed the 1965/66 decision (after New Orleans was flooded by - surprise! - the effects of a huricane) to build levees greater than Cat-3 status? The relief efforts were defined by economic class and race of recipients? Do I look stupid to you? All of it has the intellectual depth of a spring-rain puddle and I am no longer drawn to it.

I had a good run: Instapundit linked me a few times; The Wall Street Journal's online edition - Best of the Web gave me direct links to a few of my stories and credited me for contributions several times; this blog was one of two on CNN during a piece on political blogs; Slate linked me to as one of the hottest political blogs (or something to that effect); and I was listed as one of the top 25 international blogs for a long time. Pretty amazing for venting on my part. But I didn't do it as some other writers do - which is to say that I rarely jumped ugly. I just wrote my opinion and tried to back it up.

Politics will now be secondary, or trichiary, or maybe non-existent ...

However, I do like to cook. And that's a good thing. So, let me share a recipe. Sound like a plan?

Clyde's Pasta Gravy

1 large yellow onion diced
1 TBLS minced garlic

Sauté in EVOO until translucent; then add:

1 qt. tomato sauce
28 oz. crushed tomatoes
14.5 oz. whole peeled tomatoes (cut up a little before adding)
2 TBLS Italian Spices (see below)
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Bring to a boil, and then simmer partially covered. The longer you cook, the deeper the flavors seem. I usually let it go all afternoon - approximately 4-1/2 hours. You can speed it up dramatically draining liquid from the crushed tomatoes before you add them.

BUT ON MORE STEP … about 1 hour before you are done, add:

14.5 oz. whole peeled tomatoes (cut up a little before adding).

I find that this last step adds a “freshness” to the finished sauce.

The yield is about 3 quarts. When I make a big lasagna (four noodles in each of four layers), the yield of sauce is exactly enough for the lasagna and a gravy bowl at the table.

Italian spices mixture:

2 Tbsp dried basil
2 Tbsp dried marjoram
2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp dried coriander
2 Tbsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp dried rosemary
2 Tbsp dried savory

In the bowl of a food processor, combine all the ingredients. Process for
30 seconds until finely ground. Transfer to a tightly sealed container,
label, and date. Store in a cool dark place for up to 3 months.

Makes a scant cup.



No comments:

Post a Comment