Sunday, February 24, 2008

writing

I haven’t written for a while, so should probably give an update. Sorry for not paying attention to you all.

I’ve been sniffing around a book to write for the better part of a year. Got 15 hours of tapes covering about two-thirds of the twenty year cycle. I’ll three times that tape, of course, by the time I am done. But I have everything I need to write the chapter … so write, dammit.

So I did. And I rewrote with my twin’s guidance. And rewrote another ten times. Found the voice and refined it. Then had my co-author fact check. Then rewrote a few more times. Now it is in the can. Lots of room for an editor to hack – almost 12,000 words. The book starts strong. I am actually pleased with it.

Onto Chapter 2. Dialogue low, lots of background and facts. Wrote it so poorly. Twin to the rescue. Over-compensate. Twin to the rescue. Whew. Now ready for four targeted tapes that co-author is dictating. She’s moving this week, so I am traveling onto Chapter 3.

No, can’t give any specifics. Wouldn’t be right, eh? But I’ll tell you this … it is not the great American novel everyone dreams of writing. This book scares the hell out of me. True story start to finish.

I hope to have the first draft by early summer. 600 pages? Sounds about right.

Then I need an agent.

So that’s my life right now. Listen to tape – sometimes 10 seconds at a time, write my version, research the issues, rewrite … before I know it hours are gone.

I’ll write more here as general posts. Promise.

2 comments:

  1. I’m intrigued. The thought of writing a book overwhelms me to the point of paralysis

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, sme here. that's why i listened to tapes for months ove and over again. then it finally clicked ... you're a good writer, joe, it's just a matter of picking your forum.

    ReplyDelete