Sunday, November 2, 2008

Obama: I am against same-sex marriage but I won’t vote against it.

As if Bambi doesn’t have enough bad press lately. Illegals in the family, successful people are "selfish," every dem politician this side of the Rio Grande is redefining to ever-lower amounts the “true” tax bracket for reductions.

Is it having an effect? Look at Bambi’s spending in these last few days – he’s advertizing in what should be solid blue states. WTF, Barry? Will the bad press end? Oh boy, as if it couldn’t get worse. Enter California Prop 8.

The entire text of Prop 8 reads: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California."

Does Bambi have an opinion? Well, on same-sex marriage, yes. On Chris “I have a man crush on you, Barry” Matthews April 2, 2008, Hardball, the following Q&A occurred:

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hi, Senator Obama. My name is David Bernett (ph) and I just have a question for you, and that is where do you stand on gay marriage?

OBAMA: I’m not in favor of gay marriage, but I’m in favor of a very strong civil union. Right now, states even where you’ve got civil unions still aren’t getting the same benefits at the federal level. So the federal government just doesn’t recognize them. And that is about 1,200 laws, rights and benefits that are not being given to same sex couples. It is it is very important that those laws apply equally. I think it is very important that we pass a human rights ordinance, like I passed along with another close sponsor in Illinois, to prevent discrimination in housing, in jobs.

...

MATTHEWS: Isn’t it discrimination when you say people can’t get married?

OBAMA: I think that it is important for us to make sure that all the legal rights that are conferred in a marriage are also conferred in a civil union.
Did you see it? The first six words of his response reproduced below and mailed to unknown thousands of Californians.


Poor Bambi. What I find humorous is that he has a rather neat, clean … I dunno – gay? … look about him in the flyer.

Did he actually give permission for the flyer to be issued? If only. No, and others seem to be in a little snit fit over it: The No on 8 campaign called on ProtectMarriage.com to stop circulating the piece and released a statement from the Obama campaign repeating that while he favors civil unions for gay couples, but thinks the measure is discriminatory.

The actual press release is states: “The Obama-Biden ticket opposes Proposition 8 and similar discriminatory constitutional amendments that could roll back the civil rights he and Sen. Biden strongly believe should be afforded to all Americans."

I don't see any mention of civil unions, but maybe that's just me.

Jerry Flint, the Yes on Prop 8 guy that did the poster, responded to requests to stop sending it out with substantially this sentiment: Piss off.

But here is where it gets interesting. Let’s compare Bambi’s positions.

The word “discriminatory” is used just twice, so let’s start there.
Hardball: MATTHEWS: Isn’t it discrimination when you say people can’t get married? OBAMA: I think that it is important for us to make sure that all the legal rights that are conferred in a marriage are also conferred in a civil union.

Statement: opposes Proposition 8 and similar discriminatory constitutional amendments that could roll back the civil rights he and Sen. Biden strongly believe should be afforded to all Americans.

Now Prop 8 again: Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California.
Let’s synthesize these words: Is it discriminatory to tell people that can’t marry? No. You tell them they can do something else like a civil union. Telling people that they can’t marry is discriminatory.

No, wait, that didn’t work. I mean, it is what he says, but it makes no sense.

Let’s do the same process for “gay marriage.” Maybe it’ll work this time.
Hardball: I’m not in favor of gay marriage, but I’m in favor of a very strong civil union.

Statement: opposes Proposition 8 and similar discriminatory constitutional amendments that could roll back the civil rights he and Sen. Biden strongly believe should be afforded to all Americans.

Now Prop 8 again: Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California.
Let’s try to synthesize all three: I am in favor of a marriage being between only a man and a woman. I am also in favor of a non-marriage solution (civil unions) for same-sex couples. I think that defining a marriage as being between only a man and a woman is discriminatory.

Let me distill it further: I am in favor of male/female marriage. I think putting that into the law is discriminatory.

Now I think I understand him. Now the “present” votes come into focus. Now his rhetoric becomes clear.

Bambi feels something, but he won’t do anything about it.

Laws, you see (and he’s a lawyer – he gets this) draw lines in society. Every single law states that something must be done or must not be done. Well, lines place certain actions on one side or the other – and since actions (or inactions) only occur through people, then it is people that are the victims of these lines being drawn.

Laws discriminate against people.

I am against same-sex marriage but I won’t vote against it.

“Present.”

I get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment