Friday, February 6, 2004

Opening Statement

I am not a Democrat, but I have empathy. The party is a ship without a beacon. Millions of people seated in rows, oars in hand, desirous of unified movement ... but it's a moonless night and no one on deck can see, no one is capable of inspired leadership.

The powers of the party and the press rejected Kerry in the Fall and early Winter of 2003. I haven't read anything definitive to explain the rejection, but it may be safe to assume it was Kerry's lack of legislative substance. Nineteen years and no major legislation. Maybe living in the shadow of a Kennedy can have that effect. Regardless, the first loud voice to come along - Dean - pushed Kerry to the dust bin.

But, alas, Dean enjoyed the warmth of his own glow. His focus was less on where he would lead his party and more on where he was at the present moment. It didn't take long for Iowans to see through his shallow offering - which he hurried along with his pitiful claims about Christianity.

So Dean falls and the next one past the office door is Kerry, again.

I feel badly for the Democrats. I watched as the Republicans put Bob Dole up in 1996. It was painful. In 1992, I knew the election was lost when George the Elder checked his watch during the debate. But I still had hope. In 1996, hope was lost much earlier in the process. I felt, I suspect, much as Democrats do now ... and Michigan is coming, and Washington, and then Dean loses Wisconsin (can you believe he has pegged his candidancy on a liberal state (good) where he has an 18% favorable (bad)?) ... and then Edwards smirk goes from flat to flat lined as Cal and NY put him to rest.

My dear Democratic friends, I feel your pain ... Clyde

No comments:

Post a Comment