Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Arlen's Support is Utilitarian

Yes, I should consider the source. I know. It is outdated and inherently biased. But CNN has a piece (sorry) that reminded me of conversations I am hearing now. And it presumes that Pennsylvania Republicans are malleable and perhaps even stoopid.

President Bush and Senator Santorum are actively supporting Specter out of political necessity. I do not doubt for a minute that they would embrace Pat Toomey as a brother if he wins next Tuesday. But Specter is owed support not for his past but for fear of his future. If re-elected, he will chair the Senate Judiciary Committee. President Bush needs his judges pushed through. The Chairman has a lot of power to support that process.

W is putting chips onto the poker table for Specter to win ... today. And if Specter should survive, W will point to the pile in front of Arlen when judicial nominees enter the process in the next congress and say, "I want some of those back, good buddy."

No comments:

Post a Comment