Friday, April 13, 2007

papers in a Bible

I have two Bibles next to my bed, one for detailed study, the other for Sunday-go-to-Meeting. The first is filled with papers of all kinds. I sat in bed last night contemplating my quest for God. I knew I had to clean out the study Bible. Proceed with nothing of the past. I found two writings of interest.

My father wrote his mother’s recipe for biscuits. It is the only writing I have of his. Man of few words, I guess, and the ones he wrote came from others. I always enjoyed reading this recipe. I have never made it because the “milk to make a biscuit” seemed rather loose to me. I wonder what prompted him to add “or Oleo” at a later time.


After he had died, in those couple of days when everyone tries to fulfill the duties of organizing an event with little notice, I was made aware of something he had said during life. He had torn out this “Dear Abby” column (I have the original) and said of it that “no one has the balls to have this read at their funeral. This is the truth.” I had it read at his funeral over the objection of damn near everyone.

So the text isn’t lost in the jpeg, here it is in important part, as quoted from Benjamin Franklin:

“A man is not completely born until he is dead. When then should we grieve that a new child is born among the immortals”

“We are spirits. That bodies should be lent us while that afford us pleasure, assist us in acquiring knowledge or in doing good to our fellow creatures is a kind of benevolent act of God.

“When they become unfit for these purposes, and afford us pain instead of pleasure, instead of an aid become an encumbrance and answer none of these intentions for which they were given, it is equally kind and benevolent that a way is provided by which we get rid of them.

“Death is that way.”

I read James and went to sleep.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked that. Made my evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank, babs. my dad was basically quiet, but made his opinion known when he had to. one of the last things i learned about him was his statements that nobody had the balls to have that piece read at their funeral. i caught a lot of shit from everyone beforehand - but it was read.

    ReplyDelete