Friday, December 14, 2007

screaming at toilets

This is why I stay away from politics, despite my almost pathological following of it my entire life. One articles relates” "They like this war. They want this war to continue," Pelosi, D- Calif., told reporters. … Asked to clarify her remarks, Pelosi backed off a bit. … "I shouldn't say they like the war," she said. "They support the war, the course of action that the president is on."

So Pelosi opens her mouth and suggests – we all know she was – that the pubs rather enjoy the killing of soldiers. When questioned, she could not stick to her words. A little rust on the chastity belt, I guess.

Lucianne.com responds with: Could we now talk a little bit about how the democrats 'like' killing babies.

The message, of course, is that supporting a woman’s application of her right to privacy to the continued life of her fetus until the 24th week or so when ultra-womb viability kicks in is somehow liking the killing of babies.

My personal views on either topic don’t matter. I have a horse in both races, but I really don’t need to watch the ugliness that is American politics. No one will ever clean it up. It will only get messier.

No, nobody likes killing anything. Yes, some people leave their coat and soul in the Congressional Cloakroom. Just not interested. Tell me what my taxes are and leave me alone.

This is an interesting article on scramjet-engine technology. Same concept as a jet engine, only a whole lot more intense: operating temperatures in the thousands of degree; theoretical max Mach 15 – about 10,000 MPH. The concept is to use it for passenger travel. Termed “hypersonic,” it was originally funded by Reagan and originally de-funded by Clinton. Not a shocking pair of actions. Could you imagine a failure during top-speed flight? Instant toast. One problem – as fat-fetched as it may seem, but it will become real – the noise is akin to a rocket launch. They will not be able to use these engines as the sole means of propulsion at most airports. There will have to be a second power plant of sorts. Man … plane aloft, primary engines fold away, secondary engines deploy – “Please put your trays in the upright and stowed position, make sure all of your luggage is in the overhead compartment or underneath the seat in front of you … now, take a deep breath, pinch your buttocks together, and hold on! Sanitary wipes are in the pocket in front of you if you should fill your pants.”

Buried in this article is the statement, “The receding ice caps on Mars hint at a climatic warming trend.” When someone can explain why, and distinguish the source from the “global warming” here on Earth, then I will start listening to Algore.

Yes, this is where I am from. Chick get angry with her toilet, and proceeds to scream at it. Busted for public disturbance. Turns out to be protected speech. If I want to scream at my toilet, I have that right, no matter what language I use. That’s a good thing to know.

Found this article saying 3,800 people and kids under the age of 24 were homeless in NYC. Wasn’t sure how to judge such a number. Went to the NYS 2000 Census data. Seems 12.06% of the population are ages 15 to 23. Compare that to the first article’s claim of 8.2MM living in NYC, and it suggests that about 1 in 260 people in that age bracket in NYC is homeless. That doesn’t seem too out of whack. I’m not focused enough to track all the source data, but the EU, with a claimed 3MM homeless against a population of 456MM has an overall rate of 1 in 152. I guess NYC’s not too bad. A statistic is a terrible thing to waste.

All for now

No comments:

Post a Comment