Friday, November 16, 2012

Vegan BBQ Ribs and other ramblings

I made this recipe once, and think I can improve it a bit.  I wish I kept the link to the blog I copied it from, but don't have it.  She had a peanut butter mix that acted like a coating to the dough ... no one cared for it so I stripped it out.
  • 2/3 cup of water
  • 1/2 cup wheat gluten
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup BBQ sauce
  • spices to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, wheat flower and spices in a dry bowl. Add the water and knead until almost all of the dry powder is absorbed. Add more water if necessary to keep the dough soft and not too dry. Do not over-knead.

Form the dough into a flat shape about one-half inch thick. Transfer the dough to a cutting board or plate. Press and flatten the dough as you would a pizza crust. Use a pizza cutter to cut one-half inch strips of dough. Make them as long or as short as you like them. Lay out on a lightly oiled baking pan. Bake for about 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, use a spatula to turn the "ribs" over. Spoon or brush on BBQ sauce and return to the oven.  Bake for another 5 minutes. Remove and turn the ribs over again. Spoon or brush on some more BBQ sauce.  Bake for another 5 minutes. Remove and enjoy your hot, sweet and sticky "ribs."


I'm thinking I should knead the dough more.  When I do that with things that are more wheat gluten it gets more texture.  These were fine, but I want to see what that does.  Overall, I liked them.  Everyone else seemed to enjoy them, too.

I find the prices some people pay for things to be amazing ... couldn't do it myself, but clearly there's folks out there that do.  Enjoy.

Christmas shopping yet?  I'm keeping an eye on this site - found three good buys so far.

I'm working through my granddaughter's diagnosis with Lyme Disease.  Pushing my emotions more than just a bit.  She'll be fine.  Three months of intense antibiotics and a year of modified diet.  To me, it's not that I'm worried about her getting better - because I faith that she will - but it's the dose of reality to her.  The first shot over her bow that takes away her innocence.  Maybe it won't register too deeply.  I'll watch.  But that what hurts.  Has me staring into the distance, feeling helpless.

This is the coffee I drink every morning, btw.  Two or three cups depending on when I get up.

Is this girl's ass shaped oddly?  I can't tell.  I found some John Lennon shirt ... oh, wait, I remember, I got an e-mail from the Hard Rock Cafe.  The shirt was $85.  So I searched the net.  I actually found the same line - not the same color - on the linked site for just $15, so I bought three.  But then I wander the site.  And the girls get two pics - one front, one back.  Never saw that before.  I wonder what the models think about it.  I'm sure they're not happy with it.  If I was the girl at the link, I wouldn't be happy either.

I'm having dinner here on Monday, then off to see Bob Dylan.  The restaurant is supposed to be very good.  a 38 out of 40 in Zagat.  I'm looking at the menus ... don't recognize plenty of ingredients.  Should be interesting.  They've got a couple of cookbooks on Amazon, but I think I'll eat there first.  Seems safer.

I'm spacing out ... bye for now.

Walk out song ...



No comments:

Post a Comment